ALEC Required Application Materials:
Explanation of materials required by ALEC:
The GAMES system is where you will submit all required materials for ALEC.
GRE-Graduate Record Examination-All ALEC graduate programs require the GRE exam. Once an applicant is created in GAMES they can self-report test scores in the GAMES system. These scores will be marked as "Verified No". Once the Office of Graduate Studies receives GRE scores from ETS, Graduate Studies will verify them. If there are any discrepancies in the scores, the self-reported information will be overwritten by the scores sent to us by ETS. At this point the sores will be marked at "Verified Yes", and the applicant will be locked out from making any changes to the test scores.
Note: Plan accordingly when scheduling your GRE testing date. Your GRE score will need to be self-reported and verified by Graduate Studies (institution code 6877) in time for the February 1 deadline. Your GRE score will need to be valid according to ETS policy . Our Graduate Program will only accept GRE scores that are validated by ETS and within the time frame presented on the ETS website.
Letter of Application-this is where you will state your academic and professional goals. This includes your purpose and objectives for your graduate education. Specify if you are interested in the leadership, teaching/extension, communication, or ecotourism area. Please be specific and tell us why you want to gain admission to ALEC's Leadership Education graduate program.
ALEC Mission Statement-The mission of the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication is to develop agricultural leaders, educators, journalists and other professionals through teaching, research and extension/education.
Vitae-Your vitae should include a complete account of your academic and professional history along with your community activities and service. Preference will be given to individuals with two or more years of professional experience.
Three Letters of Recommendation- Ask your references to discuss your goals and objectives related to ALEC's goals, their judgment of your academic ability to do graduate level work, and why they believe this is so.
Official Transcripts-academic transcripts are required from each college-level institution attended, listing courses completed and marks earned, as well as degrees conferred. Transcripts provided to Graduate Studies will be shared with your academic department if you're applying for a graduate certificate or degree program.
- Upload your transcripts via MyRED.
- Allow 1-2 business days for transcripts uploaded to MyRED to appear in GAMES.
- Don't mail paper transcripts to UNL until the Office of Graduate Admissions asks for them.
- Uploaded transcripts are sufficient for application review.
For more in-depth information, please visit the Graduate Studies website.
Once an applicant is satisfied with his/her application, he/she must complete the process by finalizing and submitting the application. Once the student does this an email notification will be sent to the graduate secretary.
The ALEC Graduate Committee will only consider application materials that are complete by February 1. All documents, transcripts, and GRE scores will need to be in the GAMES system and verified before your application will be considered for the review process. No exception will be given.
Application Status-An application can be in one of several pre-decision statuses:
- Incomplete: Applications are considered incomplete when the applicant has not submitted all of the required materials and/or all required materials (transcripts, GRE scores) have not been verified by either Graduate Studies or ALEC. Applicants can edit their application in this status. The ALEC Graduate Committee will only consider application materials that are complete by February 1. All documents, transcripts, and GRE scores will need to be in the GAMES system and verified before your application will be considered for the review process. No exception will be given.
- Submitted: Applicants are satisfied with their application materials and have submitted their application. In this status, the student may not make any changes to his/her application. The graduate secretary can make changes on behalf of the applicant or reset the application to an Incomplete status where then the student can make their own changes.
- Under Review: The application is being reviewed.
- Reviewed: The application has been reviewed and the graduate committee has completed the final evaluation. When the application has been reviewed, the graduate committee will conduct the final evaluation and make a decision regarding the applicant's admission into the ALEC program. Applicants will be notified by April 1.
The graduate secretary will notify Graduate Studies via the GAMES system. ALEC will notify the applicant in the form of a letter via the US Postal Service.
If you are sent an acceptance letter from ALEC, you need to sign it and return it by the date specified on the letter. This is necessary for you to be formally accepted into our program.
If an applicant accepts the offer and upon receiving the offer letter, the graduate secretary will update their status in the GAMES system. If an applicant declines the offer, the graduate secretary will update the status in GAMES.