University of Nebraska – Lincoln 2010 – Present
Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communication ALEC 466 – Diversity and Leadership in Organizations and Communities Spring 2011 – Present
- Focuses on leadership issues in organizations and communities with changing demographics.
- In 2012, I changed the course content to include Emotional Intelligence for Managing Differences as the central theme of student leadership capacity development.
- Have taught this course each semester in the Fall and Spring. For several years I taught two sections of the course each semester due to demand.
- Student ratings ranged from 3.60 to 3.90 out of 4.0
ALEC 337 – Instructional Internship Spring 2011 - Present
- Teaching assistantship (TA) for ALEC 102 and ALEC 466.
- Supervised 3-4 TAs in each course each semester.
- Used the opportunity to coach TAs in their capacity as supervisors to peers.
ALEC 496 – Special Topics in Leadership Spring 2012 – Present
- Advanced teaching strategies for Teaching Assistants interested in teaching leadership
- Supervised student presentations and evaluation of learning.
ALEC 422 – Facilitation and Project Planning Summer 2020 – Present
- Course was created by another faculty and modified by me to fit the Rural Fellowship Program
- $3000 in funding was offered to modify the curriculum to fit the Rural Fellowship Program
- Course is offered to participants of the Rural Fellowship Program during their summer fellowship
- Student ratings ranged from 3.9 to 4.0 out of 4.0
- Intercultural Mindset Development of Leaders, healthcare practitioners, and educators
- Inclusive Community Leadership Development
- Executive Coaching and Inclusive Leadership Development
Dr. Fagan is a Leadership, Diversity, and Inclusion scholar and practitioner. She is the founder of Global Leadership Group, which provides consulting and leadership coaching to organizations, communities, and executives in the field of Diversity, Inclusion, Cultural Competence and becoming an Inclusive Leader.
In addition to a Ph.D. in Human Sciences with specialization in Leadership from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Dr. Fagan holds multiple certifications in Diversity, Emotional Intelligence, and is a trained Executive Coach. Also, she is a Qualified Administrator of the Intercultural Development Inventory which she has used with developing thousands of leaders and healthcare providers. For the last 5 years she has also served as a faculty with the Qatar Institute for Intercultural Communication providing workshops for faculty, staff and graduate students working at 6 US universities in Education City in Qatar.
Dr. Fagan’s expertise in developing inclusive leaders, organizations and communities has enabled her to speak is multiple nations and at last count 4 continents. Dr. Fagan’s passion is to develop leaders who create better tomorrows.
Before Academia, she created and led the Diversity and Cultural Competence Initiatives at Bryan Health, in Lincoln NE. This initiative at Bryan was considered so innovative that it gained national recognition and was featured in a Joint Commission (hospital accreditation body) publication. During that time, Helen played a key role in the recruitment and resettlement of nurses from the Philippines to address the nursing shortage in Nebraska. Helen also worked diligently to address employment and healthcare needs of refugees and immigrants; and was a strong voice for eliminating the use of children as medical interpreters in healthcare settings. Because of her work and dedication, she has received multiple awards including a key to the city of Lincoln.
In 2021, Dr. Fagan's book, Becoming Inclusive: A Worthy Pursuit in Leadership was published by Information Age Publishing. In 2018, Dr. Fagan served as a Consulting Producer on a short film, The Healing of Harman. She consulted on the film during the writing, the filming, and editing processes. The film was directed by the Academy Award nominated Director, Seth Pinkster. This film has been used to create discussion with community leaders in relation to the process that communities can use to foster a spirit of inclusion in which people are welcomed and embraced in their healing.
Fagan Consulting, LLC dba Global Leadership Group 2005 – Present
- Provide a wide range of consulting services to organizations and communities in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, as well as organizational effectiveness, and change management.
- Previous clients have included:
- Duncan Aviation
- Union Bank and Trust
- Glaxo Smith-Kline
- Lincoln Electric System
- University of Nebraska College of Engineering
- University of Nebraska College of Law
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Community Health Endowment
- Clinic with a Heart
- City Impact
- History Nebraska
- City of Hastings
Bryan Health, Lincoln NEApril 1999 – Present
Diversity Consultant - Bryan College of Health Sciences 2007 – Present
- Provided input into the college’s creation of a DEI strategy
- Coached the leadership team in carrying out of the strategy
- Provided feedback to the leadership team as needed on their DEI strategy
- Student population has gone from 1% diverse student population to 21% diverse student population during my involvement with the college
To view more information about Dr. Helen Fagan, please click below.