University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
Lecturer, August 2010 – Present
- Interpersonal Skills for Leaders (ALEC 102)
- Leadership and Diversity (ALEC 466)
- Special Topics in Leadership (ALEC 496)
Course evaluations have consistently rated between 3.7-4.0 (1-4 scale)
Doane College, Lincoln, NE, Leading Edge Co-facilitator and Coach, Intercultural Development Inventory Consultant
August 2008 – Present
Leading Edge Leadership Institute (2008 - 2010)
- Consistently rated high as a leadership coach & course instructor
- Provide one-on-one leadership coaching for graduate students
- Administer the Intercultural Development Inventory to all students
- Administer the Intercultural Development Inventory to all students and present group and individual results to all students
Bryan College of Health Sciences, Lincoln, NE
Lecturer, August 2007 – May 2010
Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness
- Created and taught this course
- Course led to a college-wide diversity and inclusion initiative
Consistently received high rankings in course evaluations
Fagan, H. Matkin G. (2014). Developing intercultural sensitivity in a healthcare college: A mixed Methods study. Paper presented at the International Leadership Association Conference. October 30 – November 2, 2014, San Diego, CA.
Fagan, H. Matkin, G. S. (2013). What is the role of psychological capital (PsyCap) in developing Cultural competence? Paper presented at the International Leadership Association. October 30 – November 2, 2013, Montréal, Canada.
Fagan, H., Matkin, G. (2012). Using the IDI in undergraduate and graduate leadership classes to Grow different cultural competence skills in emerging leaders. Paper presented at the 3rd Annual Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Conference, Minneapolis, MN. September 21-22, 2012.
Fagan, H., Matkin G. (2012). What keeps them from coming? Culturally and linguistically Appropriate methods for understanding the challenges and limitations faced by immigrant And refugee youth Desiring to Pursue Education and Careers in Agriculture related Fields. Poster presentation. American Association for Agricultural Education, May 9, 2012, Asheville, NC.
Dr. Fagan is a Leadership and Diversity scholar and consultant. She is the CEO and Founder of Global Leadership Group, an Assistant Professor of Practice in Leadership Engagement at University of Nebraska-Lincoln, a qualified Executive Coach, and most recently a team member at the Rural Futures Institute.
Helen has a Ph.D. in Human Sciences with emphasis in Leadership. She studied International Economics and British Political Economy at Oxford University during the formation of the European Union. Helen is a Certified Diversity Trainer, a Qualified Administrator of the Intercultural Development Inventory, and a Certified Emotional Intelligence and Diversity Trainer, and Executive Coach. For the last 4 years she has also served as a faculty with the Qatar Institute for Intercultural Communication providing workshops for faculty, staff and graduate students working at 6 US universities in Education City in Qatar.
Dr. Fagan’s expertise in developing inclusive leaders, organizations and communities has enabled her to speak is multiple nations and at last count 4 continents. Dr. Fagan’s passion is to develop leaders who create better tomorrows.
In 2000, she became the first Coordinator of Diversity and Cultural Competence Initiatives at Bryan Health during which the initiative gained national recognition. During that time, she played a key role in the recruitment/resettlement of nurses from the Philippines, and worked diligently to address employment and healthcare needs of refugees and immigrants. Because of her dedication, she has received multiple awards including a key to the city of Lincoln.
- Recipient – UNL Mortar Board, Distinguished Professor, May 2017
- Recipient – UNL Mortar Board, Professor of the Month, Oct 2014
- Recipient – Doane College Alumni Assoc. Exceptional Service Award, 2013
- Recipient – UNL Holling Family Teaching Excellence Award, 2013
- Recipient – University of Nebraska Parent’s Association Award, 2012 & 2013
- Recipient – Doane College Keith Berlage Memorial Award, 2008
- Recipient – YWCA Tribute to Women Award, 2005
- Recipient – Key to the City of Lincoln by Mayor Colleen Seng, 2004
- Recognized – One of “20 under 40” Leaders positively impacting Lincoln, 2002
- Recipient – 2001 KZUM Radio Multi-cultural Awareness Award
- Letter of Commendation from Admiral of the U.S. Navy, 1991
Education & Training:
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln, PhD in Human Sciences with Emphasis in Leadership Studies GPA 4.00
- Dissertation: Psychological Capital and Its Impact on Intercultural Sensitivity Development in Healthcare Educators: A Mixed Methods Study (Committee Members highlighted below)
- Theoretical Found. of Leadership - Jay Barbuto, PhD Univ of Rhode Island
- Advanced Teaching Strategies - Lloyd Bell, PhD Univ of Nebraska
- Leadership & Diversity in Orgs - Gina Matkin, PhD Univ of Nebraska
- Medical Anthropology - Mary Willis, PhD Washington Univ, St. Louis
- Human Resource Development - Rich Torraco, PhD Univ of Minnesota
- Leadership & Motivation - Kelli Kapusta-Smith, PhD Univ of Nebraska
- Leadership Power & Influence - Amy Boren-Alpiazar, PhD Univ of Nebraska
- Health Behavior - Ian Newman, PhD Univ of Chicago-Urbana
- Foundations of Public Health - Shawn Gibbs, PhD Univ of Cincinnati
- Health Services Administration - Peter Woodbridge, MD Univ of Minnesota
- Global Application of Public Hlth - Preethy Nayar, PhD Virginia Commonwealth
- Applied Organizational Behav - Fred Luthans, PhD Univ of Iowa
- Statistical Methods - Matt Grady, PhD Univ of Texas-Austin
- Mixed Methods Research - John Creswell, PhD Univ of Iowa
- Quantitative Rsrch Dsgn & Mthds - Cal Garbin, PhD Univ of Texas-Arlington
- Seminar in Qualitative Research - Wayne Babchuk, PhD Univ of Nebraska
- EIDI Facilitator Qualification Course – 2010, Emotional Intelligence and Diversity Institute, Los Angeles
- IDI Qualifying Administrator Course – 2007, Intercultural Development Inventory, Inc. Minneapolis
Doane College, Lincoln 2003 – 2008,Master’s Degree in Management with emphasis in Leadership GPA 4.00
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 1996 , Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration-Management & Economics GPA 3.87
- Oxford University – Mansfield College, Oxford, England 1995, Studied British Political Economy and International Economics
Relevant Consulting Presentations:
- Designed and presented a variety of workshops and seminars regarding Leadership, Diversity/Inclusion and Intercultural Communication locally, nationally, and internationally.
Highlights from 2005 – 2018:
- Qatar Intercultural Communications Institute ~ Doha, Qatar, Developed and facilitated 3-Day Leadership Development Training for Faculty and Staff of 6 U.S. Universities: Carnegie-Mellon, Northwestern, Weil Cornell Medical Center, Texas A&M, Virginia Commonwealth, NYU; and 1 British University: University College London. Participants were from 30 different nations.
- Nebraska Health & Human Services – Community Health Workshops ~ Leadership Development Keynote Speaker
- The High Calling Leadership Team Development ~ Leadership Development & Intercultural Communication 2014-2015
- Educational Leadership Conference in Zanzibar, Tanzania ~ 3-Day Workshop to Ministry of Education and Educational Leaders 2014
- Cargill Corporation ~ Leadership Development & Intercultural Communication 2013-2014
- Diversity Rx National Conference in Oakland ~ Conference Presentation 2013
- Duncan Aviation ~ Leadership Development in Intercultural Sensitivity 2012-2014
- TEDxLincoln ~ Presentation 2012
- Midwest Academy of Management ~ Conference Presentation 2012
- Heartland Dialysis Center Symposium ~ Keynote Address 2012
- Women’s Conference in Armenia ~ Keynote Address 2009
- Diversity Rx National Conference in Seattle ~ Presented the BryanLGH Women’s Health Community Study that we conducted in 2005.
President/Founder, Fagan Consulting LLC dba Global Leadership Group
September 2005 - Present
- Comprehensive analysis of organization for diversity and inclusion
- Strategic approach to diversity and inclusion efforts
Clients have included: Bryan College of Health Sciences, Duncan Aviation, Cargill-Nebraska City, Bryan Health, High Calling, First Baptist Church-Lincoln, State of Nebraska Assemblies of God, Southwood Lutheran Church, Clinic with a Heart, Community Health Endowment
Bryan Health, Lincoln, NE
Coordinator of Diversity & Cultural Competence Initiatives, August 2000 – September 2007
- Created and led the Bryan’s diversity, inclusion and cultural competence initiative.
- Managed the activities of the 17-member Diversity Council, including recruitment, orientation, and support of council members.
- Strategic and effective integration of diversity goal with recruitment, retention, leadership development, customer service, and quality patient care.
- Led the organization-wide implementation of the CLAS (Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services) standards.
- Executive coaching of leaders in relation to recruitment, retention and employee relation needs of diverse populations.
- Served as pseudo Ombudsperson for minority/immigrant employee needs.
- Developed and led study of minority women’s healthcare needs in Lincoln.
- Training to clinical and non-clinical staff regarding understanding and providing care to multicultural patient population.
- Assisted with the international recruitment of nurses from Philippines.
- Led the Home Orientation and Acculturation of nurses from the Philippines.
- Created and facilitated monthly diversity, inclusion and cultural competence training for leaders through Bryan University.