Mary Garbacz, AESC Lead Advisor
Minor in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Communication
The Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Communication minor provides you an opportunity to focus on building communication skills and knowledge in the context of global challenges and issues related to food, fiber, fuel, and water.
You’ll complete a series of communication courses using problem-based and experiential learning strategies and combine subject area knowledge gained in courses in your major area of study with strategies and skills to effectively communicate in a 21st Century global society.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of communication in addressing 21st Century global issues related to food, fiber, fuel, and water.
- Identify and analyze effective communication strategies for discussing challenging issues influencing food production.
- Develop and demonstrate excellence in written and oral communication through various course assignments and projects.
- Create messages and campaigns about controversial scientific issues utilizing critical communication theories and frameworks, as well as multimedia tools and applications for increasing the science literacy of diverse audiences.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a communications project integrated into real-world science engagement contexts connected to CASNR disciplines that demonstrates an understanding of media literacy, science literacy, visual literacy, and digital citizen concepts.
Requirements for the Minor
This 18-hour minor includes three required core classes, two electives (choose from list below), and a required project course.
Core Courses - 9 credits of required courses:
ALEC 200 – Writing for Agriculture & Natural Resources (3 cr)
ALEC 207 – Communicating to Public Audiences (3 cr)
ALEC 350 – Agriculture, the Environment, and Science in the Media (3 cr)
Choose two courses (6 credits) from the following:
ALEC 136 – Fundamentals of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Communication (3 cr)
ALEC 240 – Digital Photography in AESC (fall) (3 cr)
ALEC 241 – Mobile Video Production in AESC (spring) (3 cr)
ALEC 305 – Presentation Strategies for Agricultural Audiences (3 cr)
ALEC 341 – Podcasting to Increase Science Literacy (fall, odd years) (3 cr)
ALEC 393 – Digital Imaging and Storytelling in Agriculture and Natural Resources (3 cr)
ALEC 417 – Issues Management and Crisis Communication in Agriculture (3 cr)
Project Course – 3 credits, prerequisite is junior/senior status:
ALEC 421 – Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Communication Practicum (3 cr)