This degree program prepares students for careers in communications, advocacy and public service roles in the agricultural, natural resources and environmental disciplines. Degree requirements provide students a broad education combining skills and knowledge in agricultural, environmental and natural resources sciences, the social sciences and mass communications. Graduates of this program are also qualified to pursue careers in public relations, and public service in government agencies, nonprofit and private organizations.
To complete the program, students take core courses in the Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communication (ALEC) Department, and then select courses in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) to provide a science-based foundation for their content knowledge. Students then select one of three options for further course work.
- Strategic Communications
- Communicating Public Issues
- CASNR Minor or Certificate Program
The program’s general education requirements provide students a well-rounded introduction to science, communications, humanities and the social sciences. The agricultural and environmental sciences communication core provides an introduction to the areas of competence required of a professional communicator.
|College:||College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources|
|Degree||Bachelor of Science in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Communication|
|Minimum Cumulative GPA||2.0 for graduation|
What You'll Learn
Graduates of agricultural and environmental sciences communication will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in visual and written communication techniques.
- Apply communication concepts, theories and principles of critical thinking to real world issues facing agriculture and the environment.
- Understand diverse perspectives related to food, fuel, water, landscapes and people in Nebraska, nationally and globally.
- Communicate agricultural and environmental science information in lay language to targeted audiences.
- Public Information Officer & Exec. Officer
- Deputy Press Secretary
- Marketing Specialist
- Farm Broadcaster
- Communications Specialist
- Editor & Agricultural Reporter
- Social Media Coordinator
- Creative Services Manager
- Account Coordinator
- Sales Representative